Singapore Airlines’ KrisFlyer program is offering a rare transfer bonus, although this is the second time they have come out with a promotion like this in the last 12 months, so perhaps that’s a sign we will see them offered more regularly from here on.
The promotion is valid until 22nd November 2021 and eligible transfers initiated by this date will earn bonus miles. All of KrisFlyer’s transfer partners globally are participating in it which is great. The program boasts several partners in Australia, but the main one’s that feature are American Express, ANZ, Westpac, NAB and Citibank. You can check out the full list of partners over here.
Earn up to 15% bonus KrisFlyer Miles
The bonus is tiered and tops out at 15%, which is not exactly huge but does provide some value. This is how it works:
- You will earn 12% bonus KrisFlyer miles when you convert the equivalent of between 10,000 and 49,9000 KrisFlyer miles.
- You will earn 15% bonus KrisFlyer miles when you convert the equivalent of 50,000 KrisFlyer miles or more.
Transfer ratios vary from partner to partner, here’s a bit more on the partners that Australian’s will find most useful.
- American Express : The standard transfer ratio from American Express Membership Rewards Program to KrisFlyer is 2:1 (2 Amex points = 1 KrsifFlyer Mile). For maximum value, you will need to transfer a minimum of 100,000 Amex points as that will give you a total of 57,500 KrisFlyer miles including the 15% bonus. There is no cap on the number of bonus miles you can earn.
- ANZ, Westpac & NAB : If you have points in ANZ Rewards, Westpac Altitude Rewards or NAB Rewards, the standard transfer ratio to KrisFlyer is 3:1 (3 Rewards points = 1 KrisFlyer Mile). Note that minimum transfers apply to all 3 programs. You need to have a minimum of 3,000 points in NAB & Westpac Altitude Rewards and 1,500 point in ANZ Rewards to initiate the transfer.
To maximise the value of this promotion though, you will need to transfer a minimum of 150,000 Rewards points which will give you a total of 57,500 KrisFlyer Miles including the 15% bonus. As with American Express, there is no upper limit on the number of bonus KrisFlyer miles you can earn.
- Citibank : Points from Citi Rewards to KrisFlyer transfer in the ratio of 3:1 (3 Citi points = 1 KrisFlyer Miles) meaning you will need to transfer at least 150,000 points to qualify for the higher 15% bonus. Minimum transfers apply and you will need to login to your card account to see the transfer rates and minimum transfer levels.
Again, there is no cap on the number of bonus KrisFlyer miles you can earn under this promotion.
It’s often said that you should only transfer points when you have firm travel plans and confirmed award availability, and that is generally true. In this instance though, it might be ok to transfer points even if you haven’t locked in the travel dates yet, but you know there is a trip you want to take within the next couple of years.
I say that because if you are a points and miles collector based in Australia, chances are you haven’t done much, or possibly, any travel over the last 18 months or so and are sitting on a burgeoning points balance. That pits you against every other points and miles enthusiast in the country who is also eyeing one of those those prized award seats and is desperate to put their points to work. You don’t want to be in a position where you miss out on a seat just because you couldn’t transfer your points in time, as transfers can take anywhere from 2-21 days depending on the partner.
Personally speaking, I am hoping to do lots of travel in 2022 and plan to transfer a stack of points during this promotion.
Do you plan to transfer points to KrisFlyer program? Leave a comment below.