The David Jones American Express Card is somewhat of a unique card, what I mean by that is the card isn’t impacted by Amex’s dreaded 18-month exclusion rule on welcome bonus. As long as you do not presently have this card or have not closed one in the last 18 months, you are eligible to apply and receive the full welcome bonus.
For instance, you may already have another Amex card such as The American Express Explorer Credit Card or The Platinum Card that you use for everyday expense. Generally, having one of those cards will automatically exclude you from earning welcome bonus on any new American Express cards, but not the David Jones card, this card is an exception to that rule.
The card normally has a $99 annual fee which in my opinion is not exorbitant, right now though, there is an opportunity to get your hands over this card for a net cost of $0 in the 1st year.
Welcome Bonus & $0 Annual Fee
As long as you are eligible for the welcome bonus, now is a great time to apply for this card. The card offers a choice between earning Membership Rewards Points or Qantas points, you can make that selection at the time of completing the application.
To qualify for the welcome bonus :
- You must apply online by 14th July 2021 and be approved.
- Spend a minimum of $750 at locations excluding David Jones within 3 months of your card membership.
- If you choose Membership Rewards, your offer will be 25,000 Membership Rewards Points.
- If you choose Qantas points, your offer will be 12,500 Qantas points.
- You will also receive a $100 credit in the form of a statement credit, effectively wiping out your 1st year annual fee.
Note that this offer is not available if you apply directly on American Express website or through another means. The increased welcome bonus and $100 credit is only available if you apply for this card via a personal referral link, so ask around your family and friends and get them to share it so both you and them can benefit.
If you don’t know anyone, feel free to apply using one of the referral links in this post.
Disclosure : If you apply for this card using links in this post and are approved, pointsHq or a related entity may receive referral points.
Earning points on David Jones American Express Card
If you choose Membership Rewards Points, you will earn :
- 3 Membership Rewards points per $ for all spends at Australian supermarkets & petrol station.
- 2 Membership Rewards points per $ when you shop at David Jones in-store or online.
- 1 Membership Rewards point per $ everywhere else.
If you choose Qantas points, you will earn :
- 1.5 Qantas points per $ for all spends at Australian supermarkets & petrol station.
- 1 Qantas point per $ when you shop at David Jones in-store or online.
- 0.5 Qantas point per $ everywhere else.
The everywhere else rate is not the greatest, but 3 Membership Rewards points per $ on purchases at supermarkets and fuel station is the equivalent of earning 1.5 airline points/miles per $ in any of the linked airline programs (except Air NZ). Check out the full review for more details on this.
Similarly, earning 1.5 Qantas points per $ is a very good return and makes this card one the highest Qantas points earning card for supermarkets and fuel station spends in Australia.
The most attractive feature of this card is its high points earning power at Supermarkets & petrol station. That said, the card offers a slew of other benefits that many cardmembers may find valuable :
- If you choose to earn Membership Rewards Points, you can transfer these points to any of the 9 airline partners in the ratio of 2:1
- The card also partners with hotel loyalty program Marriott Bonvoy and cardmembers are able to transfer Membership Rewards points to Marriott in the ratio of 3:2 to redeem for hotel stays. This effectively translates into an earning rate of 2 Marriott points per $ for all spends at Supermarkets & Petrol Stations Australia wide, not bad at all.
- Another perk that can be quite valuable, particularly during the Christmas/New Year festive season is Free Delivery & Gift Wrapping at David Jones store.
For more on these benefits, I suggest you check out this full review of The David Jones American Express Card.
For a limited time, The David Jones American Express Card is offering an elevated welcome bonus of 25,000 Membership Rewards Points or 12,500 Qantas points. In addition, you will receive a $100 credit which fully offsets the $99 annual fee making the card free in the first year.
The catch is that you can’t get this deal if you apply directly on American Express website, the offer is only available when you apply for the card using a personal referral link.
If you are unable to source one from your family or friends, you are welcome to use links in this post which will qualify you for higher welcome bonus and $100 credit.
Do you wish to take advantage of this offer? Leave a comment below.